Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Some Poetry:

I am already almost overwhelmed with the warmth and excitement that I have received about this project. My heart is fluttering, thank you to all who expressed interest.

Here are some short poems (or fragments of poems). My plan is that I want feedback on which words or lines (if any) you feel most connected to. Again, these words are mine but I want you to make them yours.

1.
there is something in me that is aching to be delicate,
it weeps while the rest of me cackles.
(#1 is no longer available, as it now appears on someone's skin)

2.
oh, canyon mouth
I hear the coyotes
and the echo of loneliness
When you speak.

3.
my flesh is the peach
my heart is the pit;
my teeth are an eagle
and the sky is my spit.

my pale body is too big for this room.

4.
without seeking home
the traveler grows weary
on tired feet.

5.
I've never opened my mouth so wide in my entire life.

6.
I just want us all to wake up.

7.
it hurts in my chest
where beautiful things
like butterflies with sharp wings
are trying to rip me apart.
(#7 is no longer available)

8.
So when you ask
Who are you talking to?
don't worry
I am just remembering

9.
My father created me out of thin air,
My mother was an ocean of tears,
And my entire life has been a lesson in
e v a p o r a t i o n.
(#9 is no longer available)

10.
I stay stuck
Where I want to stay stuck.

11.
I recall
I spit splinters for days.

12.
I hand you a fistful of dirt
and ask to be covered in gold.

13.
not everything conducts electricity

14.
I've been ending things beautifully for years.

15.
Open your eyes
(Open your heart)

16.
It takes so long for me to slow my heartbeat,
Feels like I'm slamming too hard on tired breaks.

17.
I want you to know that you
are not alone
stand like you can just disregard
all this gravity

19.
the notes bent and your bowlegs swayed.

20.
oh,
it was only
minutes.
(no longer available)

21.
The sun shines even in winter,
and the octopus has three hearts
but cannot feel;
so maybe it's not too late for me.

22.
You make me tired,
you make this feel like math.

22.
I found God in a dried out log, his body was a mass of fire ants that bit my wrists and then scattered cowardly.

23.

And still these fingers weave, in and out like they’re breathing. Breathing unevenly like unwanted company in a small room, clumsily running into each other and anxiously waiting to be introduced.

Why am I one with you but a roomful of strangers alone?

24.
"Aim all that misguided praise
inward
and hold on."

25.
"You're somewhere being
LOUD."

26.
"With the sounds of piano keys
Crunching of leaves
The spinning of a globe
In a first grade classroom
When you believed that you could
Span
That
Distance. "

27.
"This never happened."

28.
With these eyes even closed I have seen you
Arching your back to let those wounds that adorn that perfect spine sing
and the song
though often out of key
gives me hope that one day
they will heal


29.
a toothless sound
mistaken for a mastery
of one one-millionth of the english language.

30.
At times it was so gray it looked silver.
(no longer available)

31.
this disjointed dialogue speaks of closeness.

32.
If I had wings
I'd beat them
hard and fast
Like anywhere would be better
(even though it wouldn't)


All words written by Amy Moore between 2008 and 2011.
(more to come later)

10 comments:

  1. Oh, goodness. 1 is my favorite. I actually gasped out loud when I read it. I'll spare you the personal details, but these that sentence just absolutely perfectly encompasses how I am.

    Beautiful writing, all of it. I love the variety you have here and the tone for all of them is beautifully delicate and heartbreaking.

    P.S. I'm also eggsaladstain over at lj and I'm going to shoot you an email too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel most connected to #3, but I don't quite like the last line.

    I'm not certain where I should email you though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the most connected with 3 and 5, but more connected with 5. Maybe because it reminds me of myself a lot, I'm often very stressed, worried, scared and anxiety ridden, but I feel an overwhelming connection with nature that calms me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add this! If you like only a portion or a few words out of one of the writing selections, you are welcome to get just that portion!
    As I mentioned, I want my words to mean something to you. If only some of my words apply, you should only use those words.
    :)

    Also, my email is:
    lets.collaborate2010@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number 5 is beyond amazing. It is so beautiful. It really expresses the want for nature that I have always had. Just laying in the grass, listening to the world hum with life. I started crying when I read it.

    I wish I could get it done. I really do, but I don't think it would be possible. : (

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am potentially very interested.
    I find myself in love with parts of 2, 7, 8, 13, 19.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that 5 & 13 bookend one another beautifully.

    If (no, when) I get a tattoo I will have those lines (or fragments of them) -- if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting, awesome project. I love so many of these. 17 speaks to me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To moriendi: I didn't check these before I changed some of the quotes and 13 is now different... if you choose to get it though and remember what the quote was that would be fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is #17 still available?

    ReplyDelete